In the Brussels Region George Hadjimarkos, for the European Committee's work………
The Region of South Aegean, George Hadjimarkos, He participated in the proceedings of the meeting of the European Committee of Regions Plenary, in Brussels, During the work was the election bureau of the Committee and the appointment of members of sub-committees.
Mr.. Hadjimarkos, appointed member of the CIVEX and NAT commissions, which deal with a number of critical issues, both for European islands, and for Europe as a whole.
Specifically, responsibilities of CIVEX cover areas:
• Freedom, security and justice
• Immigration, asylum and visas
• Charter of Fundamental Rights
• Active citizenship
• Constitutional affairs
• Governance, better legislation, Subsidiarity and proportionality
• External relations, including administrative external cooperation and capacity building
• International treaties and negotiations, terrorism and border controls
• Neighborhood Policy (including Eastern Partnership and Euro-Mediterranean cooperation), decentralized development cooperation and EU enlargement
The competences of the NAT Commission covering the areas:
• Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and rural development
• Forestry, food production
• Public health
• Consumer protection
• Common Fisheries Policy
• Maritime Policy
• Civil protection
The Region of Central Macedonia Apostolos Tzitzikostas, elected by acclamation the new president of the Committee of EU Regions, which constitutes an important development for the country and for the local authority specifically, as it is the first Greek elected elected president of a European institution and the first elected with the consent of the whole body.
The Bureau of the European Committee of the Regions, the Region still participate Attica, George Patoulis, the Region of South Aegean George Hadjimarkos and mayors Kallithea Dimitris Karvanos and Alimou Andreas Kondylis. Greece participates in the European Committee of the Regions 12 Regular Members, while 12 members are alternates.
It noted that the Committee of the Regions is one of the major European institutions and is operated by the 1994. After leaving the UK, consists of 329 Regular Members, representing local and regional authorities of the 27 member of the EU. Its role is to give regions and cities the opportunity to formally express their opinion in the EU legislative process, ensuring that they take into account the views and needs of local and regional authorities.